It’s the spookiest time of the year again, and also the most sugary. Unfortunately, most candies and sweets are made with dairy products or other ingredients that are not vegan friendly. There are some lists online (such as this one by PETA) but I thought I would list off my favourites and share a recipe for a classic treat made vegan.
- I love lollipops, and I love sour candy, so Jolly Ranchers are the perfect combination of the two. Jolly Rancher hard candy and lollipops are both vegan.
- Airheads are fruity fun and easy to find at most stores!
- Lindt Excellence Bars are vegan! Their website says “our 70%, 85%, 90% and 99% bars do not have milk products in them”.
- Natrualcandystore.com has a whole section ranging from vegan pumpkin spice chocolate bites to vegan vanilla bean lollipops and they all look delicious!
- This 5 ingredient vegan rice crispy treat can be made easily at home and is much healthier than the original.
Depending on your dietary preferences, these sweets might not be right for you. Sugar is filtered through charred bone fragments from animals: therefore, many consider sugar non-vegan. If you’re thinking about cutting out sugar that has been processed with animal bones, beet sugar is available at many stores as well as online and is vegan-friendly.